The authors who have contributed to the free-e-reads project are making their work available for free because they want to help readers. Please support their generosity by searching out their other books at independent bookstores. Now more than ever, it’s vitally important to support the bookstores that have had to temporarily shut their doors due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We want them to be there when it’s time to reopen!
~ ~ ~
6 Ways to Help Bookstores
1. Order books online through your local bookstore’s website. Most stores are currently offering shipping discounts, and some are delivering directly or have curb-side pickup hours.
2. If your bookstore does not support online sales consider ordering through bookshop.org. 10% of all sales go to an earning pool to be distributed to local bookstores OR you can choose a specific bookstore when making a purchase and 25% of the profit will go straight to that bookstore.
3. Check if your bookstore offers a subscription club. Many stores offer first editions, small press titles, and other fun stuff. This is a great way to give stores some much needed cash AND get a steady supply of new books to read.
4. Purchase gift cards from your local store. Consider buying a gift card in the amount you would normally spend on books in a year. Giving the store cash now can help them stay afloat.
5. Organize digital book clubs, and encourage members to order from independent stores. It’s also a great excuse to video chat with your friends.
6. Follow your favorite stores and authors on social media to get notices for virtual book events. People are getting creative!
Not sure how to find your local bookstore? Indiebound.org can help! Just plug in your zip code to find an independent bookstore near you.